Resurrection Community Catholic Church has roots going back to 1874 when the land for the church and adjacent cemetery was deeded over to the Catholic church. The first church to sit on the site was the Aptos Church titled Lady of Mount Carmel, but that church eventually moved to Capitola and became St. Joseph’s Church. The “modern” Resurrection Community Church was built in 1968, but the parish outgrew that and built a much larger and more elegant church which opened in 2002. Today, the church has a community of over 1,000 families.
The cemetery also holds the graves of a number of leading Aptos families, including that of Rafael Castro himself, original recipient of the Aptos Rancho land grant.