By now, you’ve probably heard about the great controversy surrounding the future of the Santa Cruz Branch Line Rail Corridor. There are competing visions for the future use of the corridor, with a number of ideas being debated in the public space. One leading vision for the rail corridor is being championed by Santa Cruz Greenway: a “trail only” use, where the existing tracks are removed and replaced with a wide trail designed primarily for pedestrian and bicycle use.
Santa Cruz County Greenway has been making presentations around the county for some time, and now they’re doing a presentation in Aptos. Greenway is hosting a meeting to help the Aptos Community learn why a train won’t help Aptos, but a trail will. Their goal is to fill the room with newcomers to the conversation and people who want to better understand our options for the corridor.
A recent meeting in the Capitola City Council Chambers on the future of the rail corridor was standing room only, which shows the intense interest the community has in the future of this priceless asset. Please plan to attend if you want to learn more and/or help spread the word to friends and neighbors who are new to the conversation or undecided on the issue:
7-8 PM, Thursday, February 22nd 2018
at Community Foundation Santa Cruz County
7807 Soquel Drive, Aptos, CA 95003
Santa Cruz County Greenway will also be holding a short informational track walk!
10 AM, Saturday, February 24th 2018
meet at the railroad tracks by 790 Estates Dr. (off McGregor Dr.)
Both of these events are sure to be informative and enjoyable and it’s a great way to get out, meet some of your neighbors, and become more engaged in the future of our community. We hope to see you there!
Related Posts On AptosCommunityNews
- Initiative Requiring Voter Approval for Santa Cruz Passenger Rail (November 18, 2019)
- Audio and Video from Aptos Greenway Presentation (February 24, 2018)
- Capitola City Council Considers Rail, Trail Options (January 14, 2018)
- Zach Friend Interview: Passenger Train and Rail Trail (March 31, 2016)
- TrailNow Presentation Video (March 5, 2016)
- Rail Trail Debate Rages on (November 16, 2015)
- Passenger Rail Opponents Meet on Thursday (September 15, 2015)
- Ellen Pirie Talks Aptos Village, Rail Corridor (May 8, 2015)
- Alternatives to Passenger Rail Service in Santa Cruz (July 24, 2014)
- RTC Passenger Rail Study Workshop July 17 (July 15, 2014)
- Rail Trail Faces June 4 Deadline (May 30, 2014)
- Sanctuary Trail Plan (November 17, 2013)
Read a good book lately?
If you have some room on your reading list, I invite you to read my book Get It Sold! It's an easy read (just 110 pages!) and it tells you everything you need to know about selling your home quickly, easily, and at absolute peak pricing. I'll send it to you for free - no shipping charge either!
OK Send me a Copy!