In the eighth segment of our Zach Friend Interview Series, the Supervisor talks about housing affordability and what needs to happen to improve it in Santa Cruz county. According to Friend, too many people live in substandard and overcrowded housing conditions, and it is simply unacceptable for this to be happening in a place and time as wealthy as we live in. The Supervisor notes that if current trends continue, there will be more renters than home owners in Santa Cruz county in a couple of years.
He remarks that many of today’s problems with traffic can be attributed to the fact that most of the new housing in the county has been built in the southern portion of the county, but most of the job growth has been to the north. While the county does not build housing, what it can do is facilitate an environment where housing can be built that fits the present-day and future needs of Santa Cruz county.
Watch the Video Now
In the ninth segment of the interview, Supervisor Friend wraps up our interview and discusses the Aptos Village Project.
Related Posts On AptosCommunityNews
- Zach Friend Interview: Aptos Village (May 25, 2016)
- Zach Friend Interview: Fiber Optic Broadband Internet (May 3, 2016)
- Zach Friend Interview: Sustainable Santa Cruz (April 18, 2016)
- Zach Friend Interview: Passenger Train and Rail Trail (March 31, 2016)
- Zach Friend Interview: Transportation (March 27, 2016)
- Zach Friend Interview: Second Term Goals (March 10, 2016)
- Zach Friend Interview: First Term Accomplishments (March 7, 2016)
- Zach Friend Interview: Introduction (March 1, 2016)